Waking up from a weird dream usually means you should either
A)never eat texas-pit barbecue from a corner stand for dinner again or
B)spend the whole day in bed with a big cupcake and a book of Ogden Nash.
Unfortunately I woke up from my weird dream feeling weird and unpleasant and instead of making a big cupcake I made a tree pose and prepared to take on the day. As you can imagine the day was at once hilarious and terrifying:
1)Nasim, while making breakfast, was startled--no, petrified--by a man walking into the Center's kitchen and asking to buy a prayer book. He was homeless and quite clearly out of his mind so when he asked to see the inside of the "temple" she thought "Well, if this is how I'm supposed to go, I guess I'm alright with no breakfast." Fortunately for her he didn't try anything but did look at her to say,
"Can I ask you a favor?"
"Yeah you can."
"Can I have something to drink?"
"Sure, you want a glass of water?"
"Actually, do you have some juice or some soda?"
He sat on the porch drinking a whole carton of some juice we'd had in the fridge since arriving that was probably the bane of our existence. While he poured into a small dixie cup we shared with him some prayers from his little prayer book we'd given him. "Oh that's nice," he said, "Yeah I'm looking for a wife." We asked him to leave.
2)We sat in our living room dazed and confused, wondering how much God must have been laughing at us and how mean it was of Him to laugh when I heard a rustling from our balcony. Somebody had come through and was picking our mangos. Luckily they didn't notice us. We left immediately.
3)In our attempt to run errands on a small island with only 1 main road we failed to complete half of them. Apparently running 1 errand can take 2-3 hours.
4)The errands we did run were total failures. Trying to pay our cell phone bill we discovered we had no balance. The copy machine at Office Max (the only copy machine on the island) jammed 5 times. Fortunately we weren't charged. In addition to that, my flashdrive broke en route and I was unable to print off a copy of Book 5--a book in a sequence of courses, the aim of which is to train folks to be junior youth animators.
5)The woman at Office Max became really upset when Nasim handed her exact change.
6)Nasim, at her wits end, went through the McDonald's drive-thru for coffee. The woman taking her order seemed really confused by the coffee order. Maybe no one on the island buys coffee at Mickey D's.
7)It rained.
8)When trying to call Natalie, one of the friends on the island, I accidentally answered with, "Hi Natalie, this is Rex!" I was consequently hung-up on. She didn't pick up when I tried to call back.
9)We bumped into Natalie on our way home.
10)She told us she'd never received our call and maybe her sister had hung-up on me because she doesn't put up with nonsense. She also proceeded to tell us she would hose anyone who came to the Center to surprise us ever again. We felt very reassured.
11)Natalie agreed to tutor a Book 1 study circle with a new friend we made at the beach a few days ago.
If we took any of that day seriously we'd probably be dead. Good thing we both have a good set of lungs so we could laugh the entire day away until the sun set on us eating texas-pit barbecue and watching Away We Go. Days like yesterday are what Nasim calls "break-through days" and they're what I call hysterical. Sometimes they come in small incidences like falling in the toilet or tripping up the stair and sometimes they come in big packages like yesterday...
And all you can do is laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment